Monday, April 28, 2008

Virgina Tech, NPR, Brendan Cassidy Media Sensation!

I almost forgot! I fulfilled my life long dream of hearing my voice on National Public Radio. Ideally i would have been speaking to Terry Gross about my innovations in hip hop and screenwriting, but Tom Porter is no slack. I helped organize the April 16 Lie In at USM to commemorate the Virgina Tech shootings and stepped in to create the impression that the student body is really really emphatically concerned about regulating the sale of firearms at gun shows.
I spoke directly to Tom Porter and I cant lie to you, it was really gay. He pointed a huge phallic microphone at me and talked in this fake British accent, everything you would expect from an NPR reporter. Mr. Porter was actually at Virginia Tech when the shit went down last year so our interaction went something like this:
Tom Porter: Thank you Brendan Cassidy, for organizing this symbolic and under attended demonstration. For exactly one year I lived in fear of all college campuses, but now academia is safe again, thanks to you.
Brendan "Oral-B" Cassidy: Don't thank me Tom Porter of NPR. Thank, actually me is good, I like being thanked.
Nevermind that the demonstration was part of my service learning practicum and my enthusiasm was actually being graded, as far as Maine Things Considered is concerned, I am just a really passionate guy who makes hilarious analogies about ping pong and handguns. So those guys might live off of our support, but they are totally the ones who are suckers.


One More thing: the teaser trailer to the movie we're making of the demonstration. The Frisson of Iconoclasm.

No comments: