Monday, April 28, 2008

State of the Union

So lets have a serious chat here, shall we? What are we doing here, I mean, what do you hope to get out of this? I tell you that I am going to do a writeup of everything I view or listen to, but c'mon, it's so obvious, I am not a superman. My bones are too brittle to type up all the shit I expose myself to, and what is "viewing" anyway. Am I too say that I "viewed" Imaginary Heroes on Saturday because I watched the first half of it, intermittently leaving to smoke cigarettes on my porch and rehearsing the three guitar chords I know (Incidentally, I am up to 3 chords! I can start a punk band now!)?
I am tired of making promises I can not keep. where is the review of the southern plantation documentary? I am sure as hell not doing a write up of the Mathnet episodes I found on youtube. This just isn't fair to you that I keep setting expectations and setting back into my old ways. I wanted to even tell you about the video of Prince performing Radiohead's Creep at Coachella this weekend but I am not even sure I am up to that. Actually, here it is:



wow, I don't even like Prince but that made me wish Scorcese had thought of filming Shine A Light on his camera phone.

I have posted some links to the sites that were the clear inspiration to this erratic writing and viewing style of Later Haters. One I love, one I hate, one I should view more and be smarter. Let's start with hate; Aititcool news is a bunch of wannabe movie insiders who can't get a screenplay made and feel that because their childhoods were so based around watching movies that the studio system somehow owes them and should cater to their needs. They cannot write a simple proffessional review without first talking about their uninteresting selves for 1500 words, infact they pride themselves on this. They are geeks though and through and the sites founder, Harry Knowles, cannot survive much longer at his current weight. I have viewed this sight ewvery day for the past 7 years because they collect and post reviews from test screenings and I fucking love hearing about movies months befor ethey are released. sadly, very few of the pople who send in these reviews can write very well, and they have probably affected me a great deal. I could have been reading Faulkner in that time. Faulk them.
The Onion AV Club is similarly self indulgent except that their writers are witty, insightful, and clearly have honed their crafts. Whatsmore, I have to go through the main Onion sight to get to it, of which I am very fond. I find Nathan Rabin to be a kindred soul, all though if I remember correctly he was featured on a movie panel show a couple of years back, the commercials for which touted him as the depressive cynic of the bunch. Like I said, a kindred soul, his Year In Flops feature was just about the best thing since sliced banana bread and faulk him for ending it just because the year did.
Listening Post I don't really read at all, but I heard this guy talk to Terry Gross on Fresh air last month and he is seriously faulking smart. Music, I guess, is digital now, like wrist watches except that while time is money, music is now faulking free free free. Mr. Eliot Van Buskirk has the whole changing if the guard of the music industry figured out. Listen to him, I'm going to.

so the point I started out with is that I am terrible at maintaining Later haters with any sense of continual theme. Did you get that I was framing the issue as though were were having a discussion at the end of a bad relationship? Good, I'm glad you got that. But now I have helped you move on to better sites and I am sure we will meet on the street one day and choke on the poignancy that comes when old lovers meet.

Oh, also: what's with this shit of having to go through blogger.com? Later Haters now is a register domain, so as soon as I figure out how to transfer this night template thing to my own site, I will. This is how Diablo Cody did it, right? she just started typing nonsense one day and then she had a book and an Oscar winning screenplay? I hope being interesting and smart wasn't a prerequisite for that.

No comments: