Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Later Haters: Lets Blog This Shit Up!

My overextended run at USM is drawing to a thankful close (of sorts) and the real world becons. The real world is what I am calling a temp job, waiting only on the weekends, and awkward dinners in which my fathers feigns patience for my lack of ambition.
The near three years at USM could also be measured as 150 consecutive weeks that I considered walking into the student paper with something I had written but opted not to, instead passing my days in increasingly isolated states of self obsessed, alcoholic recovery.
I aint no joiner, fool.
A media studies degree isn't exactly something I can walk into any employer with and stand there waiting for there jaws to drop, squinting toward me as the halo above my head casts off a near blinding light. It's not like I was proving my merit these years by studying organic physics and proving that I had the drive to carry myself through anything I set out to do. I was skimming Marshal McCluhan and doing in depth analysis' of How I Met Your Mother in this time.
Meandering through life's wayside, I call it. Oh yeah, I am so a poet.
Toward the end of this experience I came to realize that the problem is that this stuff actually does interest me. So while I cringe to sit in classrooms while folks discuss whether Mylie Cyrus might one day develop an identity crisis, that same idea, written in a tongue in cheek fashion on the OnionAVClub, would make my friggin day. I suppose lots of people study something in college because it interests them, knowing they will have to persue other stuff when they graduate. Those people tend to graduate in four years though. They probably pursue decent internships and make the right connections for when school comes to an end.
I'm sort of adrift here.
I've dilly dalleyed into my mid twenties, soooooo, I guess I'll just have to write my own ticket from here on out. Anyone reading this, send me whatever obscure media artifact you can find and I will review the shit out of it.
Ill use my degree in media studies
To beat it up Bloody
The media critics
Will defeat all the cynics
And you can't dodge my blows cause I dont come at you rythmic

did I mention I rap as well?

First up in the coming days: I review a piece of old school propaganda promoting the southern plantation system.

Sha-zam, it is on!

No comments: