Monday, April 21, 2008

In which The Onion AV Club Gives me Desparately Saught Clarity

Noel Murray posted a very interesting response to a letter in Ask the AV Club.
A young man, much like myself, poses the question of how to precede with his career if his ultimate goal is to be a paid writer. Mr. Murray notes the inverse relationship number of paid writing positions and the ease of distributing ones work online and that it took him 14 from graduating college the the time that he could consider criticism his full time job. Oh, and without a masters you wont even make any money in the meaningless job.
So that's a relief, despite dilly dallying the past few years, I'm in the same position as anyone else. I simply have to dismiss the idea that i am going to get anywhere in the next few years and just do the work that I so love to procrastinate from. And even then the odds are heavily stacked against any real success so I suppose I'll have to develop one of those "Work is its own reward" type attitudes. Thank you Mr. Murray, I feel much better now.

No comments: